You're all pretty amazing. It seems that every blog I read, you read too, and I know because I see you commenting on them. And then I see you tweeting, liking on Instagram, and then commenting on a post from a blogger that I just found like you are already BFFs. And it is impressive. I don't know how you do it. There are tons of great bloggers out there. When I realize I'm not following more bloggers than I am following, it blows my mind that there are so many awesome posts I'm missing out on. But I feel like I read enough already. Time is of the essence and comments are a hot commodity, especially if you are a blogger who opens herself up to sponsored posts. Basically, what I'm sayin' is - you gotta earn it. I know I am just one set of eyes and completely replaceable, but here's my opinion on what gets a blog removed from my reader.
1) "Now I want you to meet my friend, _____" at the end of every post: I get it. You want to make some money. That's cool. But when the end of every post is an introduction to another blogger, I feel a little swindled. Like those paragraphs that came before solely exist to make you some money rather than to let me into your life. I understand doing it every so often, but when it feels like the post is just getting good and I see another blogger's face, I get a little less interested.
2) Referring to your significant other, pets, or friends by derogatory names: Your pet can be a jerk, I'm sure. Mine can, too. But if you constantly refer to your dog by a rude name, then I totally judge you. It's a pet and you chose to have it. Not cool. And calling your significant other something awful or constantly shaming them? NOT OKAY. Like pets, I'm sure they can be jerks too sometimes, but especially when dealing with humans, it's best to keep real problems off the internet.
3) All babies, all the time: This is probably not true for your mom-blogger friends, but I'm not one of them. I respect that you're a mom, but I like when you sometimes talk about shopping, girlfriends, TV, wine, food, yourself... anything but your baby. If the kiddo makes an appearance sometimes, I get it (and I probably like it), but if your blog turns into a scrapbook of your little one, then I no longer feel like we have much in common. It's nothing personal and should I ever become a mom, I will add you right back onto my list!
4) Posts that are too easy: Am I the only one who would rather get no post than a photo with a sentence or a youtube clip? Maybe. But too much of that and I will mark as read 'til I wonder what made me read in the first place.
5) When I leave lots of love... and get none in return: I try really hard to comment as much as I can. Not always, because who can do that? But if you never come visit me or respond to my comments with anything more than "thanks," I feel a little ignored and like our friendship is one-sided. I have made it clear that my blog is all about building relationships, and if we can't get a little something going, that's okay, but I may not check in on you every single day.
Am I harsh? Am I crazy? I feel like with work picking up, my blog time is even more limited. What gets a blog kicked out of your reader? I don't want to be TOO negative, so soon I will let you in on what gets a blog into my reader to see if we agree. To those of you commenting: thank you for being awesome and chances are, you are firmly in my reader. No worries there.