I am a huge fan of my city. In fact, if you rant about your hatred of Houston, I almost take it personally. Does the traffic suck? Absolutely. Would I rather have straight, pretty hair instead of a frizzy mess? Uh-huh. But do we have the best medical center in the country, an amazing, up-and-coming food scene, lots of jobs, and a low cost of living? Yes to all. So while I gripe about the traffic with the best of them, Houston is pretty great. I'm fortunate enough to be attending the BlogElevated conference right here in my city and I'm excited to welcome so many people here who may not have had a reason to visit before. I know the conference will keep us all pretty busy, but hopefully on your way into or out of town, you'll have time to visit one of the places I list below (and if you're coming to Houston for any other reason, this list is a good place to start planning your trip!).
1) Pappasito's - There once was a family called Pappas who went and opened a bunch of pretty good restaurants. Pappasito's is my favorite. It's right by the venue for the conference, so skip the Tex-Mex place in the center and get yourself here for fajitas and margaritas. The plates sizzle and the margaritas are usually strong. It's loud and crowded and a real Houston experience. Everyone I know who has visited Houston or had to leave and come back for a visit has this on their must-list.
2) Underbelly/Provisions - Two of Houston's buzziest restaurants by far. Both cater to people who love food. I have never had a bad meal at Underbelly (some thoughts here) whereas Provisions has been a little more hit or miss but the cocktails are amazing (mostly hit - I am already planning to have my birthday dinner there!). Go to Underbelly if you want a ridiculously good food experience, but head to Provisions with your new conference friends to enjoy some yummy cocktails.
3) Check out a Museum - The Houston Museum of Natural Science is so fun. I love the butterfly exhibit. There are also tons of free museums if you have lots of time to kill. Bonus: If you go to the Menil Collection or are near the Museum of Fine Arts, there are usually food trucks in close proximity!
4) Drinks at Anvil. Or OKRA. Or Hay Merchant - If you have going out time, please go check out a cool bar. There are so many! Anvil doesn't believe in vodka, OKRA gives its proceeds to charity, and Hay Merchant has loads of beer on cask and on tap and a great food menu.
5) See the artistic side - I am in love with the Houston sculpture on I-10. There are also president's heads on the same freeway. There's a new tunnel thingy on a median. There's an entire museum dedicated to art cars, which are pretty much my favorite things ever. Basically, just get out and do something and you are bound to find something really cool to see.
This just scratches the surface of things to do in Houston. Have more time? Check out the Galleria. Sticking close to the conference? Ooh La La is one of my favorite cupcake places in the area. And you know that I am borderline obsessed with coffee from Blacksmith. No one paid me or asked me to write this post; I just really love my city and I want to give you reason to love it, too.
What's your favorite thing about your city? Any parts of your visit that I can help you plan? I have about a million more restaurant recommendations.
Linking up with Lauren and these ladies! Have a great weekend!