1) So I have been absent this week. I was in a funk. I think it happens to us all. No apologies from me, but a realization: I need to stop talking and writing just for the sake of doing it. From now on, if I have nothing to say, then I will try to keep quiet. Do you ever find yourself commenting on a blog post because you feel like you "should?" I feel that way a lot and I just want to stop - if I have nothing of value to add, then I won't say anything. That doesn't mean that a topic has no value, just that I have nothing of my own to add to it. Also, time saved on my end of trying to say something beyond "I love that!" This also applies to my own posts. I am going to put less pressure on myself to blog five times a week unless I have something I want to share.
2) Girlfriends. I didn't know what was lacking in my life until, well, I had them to add. I had a three hour dinner with the always fun Sara the other night and we talked about so many things that I never knew that I needed or wanted to talk about. I get it now. Girl talk. I feel like I haven't had a good dose in a long time with someone who knew me outside of work, outside of growing up - who just knew the me that I have become as an adult. And when I was in my funk this week I had Joey giving me perspective and Heidi reminding me that duh, we are inexplicably bonded, and I was so grateful to have people in my life to give me what I needed when they didn't even know they were doing it. Enough of a sap fest for ya?
3) In my quest to tackle as many of the Top 100 Restaurants in Houston as possible, I went to my 39th on the list with Sara - Dolce Vita Pizza. Honestly, I paid more attention to the conversation than the food, but it was good! We had pumpkin and goat cheese croquettes, a salad with escarole and pecorino, and a pizza with butternut squash, mozzarella, red onion, and pancetta. The pizza was thin and charred and not like Americanized pizza at all. As long as that's what you're expecting when you go there, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and the patio is really cute!
4) TV. It's fall TV time and I mentioned that I am not watching anything new for the first time pretty much ever. I am relying on my old standbys to entertain me. The Mindy Project has really grown on me and I laugh out loud nearly every episode. Plus, I don't think I have ever coveted a TV character's wardrobe more! New Girl was one of my absolute favorites... until this season. Nick and Jess together are so boring. The only redeeming thing is Winston's cat, which is precious. I really thought Modern Family was back to being great again this week and you know Andrew and I were dying over Phil's "I trusted his opinion. He looked like a Mumford and Son" line (but did anyone else think they were going to steal from The Office and it was going to be a ladies' suit, a la Michael Scott's Miss Sterious?)
5) Some unsolicited advice for you: Pull out some old music and listen to it. I pulled out my iPod for the 5K last weekend and haven't seen the thing in over a year. I have been listening to it in my car and it makes traffic so much more bearable. I really like "Royals" and "Roar" when they first came out, but after hearing them on every car trip I take, I need something
It finally feels like fall and I hope it stays that way! I hope your weekend is a great one!