After last week's post about how to get kicked outta my reader, I thought I would follow up with things that I love seeing in a blog that will keep me reading for a long, long time. There are lots of great blogs out there and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface, but this is my completely personal list of things I love to see.
1) Personality. If I read a blog and feel like it's someone I could have coffee or drinks with, then I am set. Personality comes through in writing like you're talking to an old friend and being open and honest. Bloggers who sound like they are writing for people they know are my favorites.
2) Leaving Good Comments. If you leave good comments for me or for other bloggers, chances are your posts are pretty solid and well-written. It's not a must for staying on my blog reader, but it is definitely how I find new bloggers to add.
3) Tell Me About Yourself. My favorite bloggers are those who give me a glimpse of their life, whether through stories about their past, discussing the day-to-day, or dedicating an entire post to a current obsession. I want to know about the things that make you you.
4) A Little Bit of Everything. One day you go list, the next you rant, the day after you tell me what you bought and love. I kind of like the element of surprise when I open my reader every day and can read about politics, sports, Kate Spade, food, Justin Timberlake, husbands, and cats. And anything else imaginable.
5) Meeting a blogger in real life. I admit, I find it very hard to take someone out of my reader who I have met in real life. What if I see them again? Will they notice? Will it be weird? So yeah, if we have met and I follow you, it will probably stay that way. I make enough awkward situations accidentally to create one that I know I can prevent!
For the most part, I love Blog World. I want to get a little ranty here and there for reasons mentioned in last week's post, but there are so many bloggers who are amazing that every day I wonder how I am going to keep up, both with reading so many great blogs and with trying to be better myself. Tell me, how does a blog earn a permanent spot in your reader?