Five lessons I learned this week:
1) One of the professors I work with has been called by many media outlets in the Fort Hood shooting case. I asked him at 9 a.m. Thursday how many news outlets he had spoken with that day (the answer was three) and he said he was tired of saying the shooter's name. It was time to focus on the victims. The shooter is going to military jail, where he will be surrounded by soldiers telling him what to do, morning, noon, and night, and really the only people he will have interaction with. He hates the military, so he got the worst punishment he could, and we should stop discussing him. I know this is said during every tragedy but the conviction in this professor's voice meant more than just hearing Anderson Cooper say it on CNN. (Yes, he was sentenced to death, but I think the prof's thinking he'll die there. He's been in the New York Times several times in the past few weeks so I trust he knows his stuff!)
2) Fantasy Football is harder than I thought it would be. My team is called Hashmarks and Hashtags and one of my players already has a broken leg. Also, he's a New York Giant. If you don't remember, I'm a Giants fan, so this is a double bummer.
3) Streets in Houston flood fast when it barely rains all summer and it sucks. Luckily, the street that contains my favorite burger place didn't flood so I was able to grab a yummy burger for dinner after two hours in the car. Ugh.
4) Random, upbeat songs make me run faster: Karma Chameleon by Culture Club, Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne, Let's Go Crazy by Prince, and pretty much anything by Destiny's Child. Never change, Songza. Keep giving me a random assortment and keeping me on my toes.
5) I really like writing about things beneath the surface. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good list, brain dump, or bullet point post, but the emails I've exchanged with blog friends over my post about blog success have given me oh so much to think about. Bottom line is, we pretty much all blog for ourselves. If readers, money, or other opportunities follow, then so be it, but for the most part, we're all in this for ourselves in the best way possible - and I love it.
Lots of fries at The Burger Guys (we didn't finish them) | Andrew's Fantasy Football Prep... I maybe snuck a peek while drafting my team :)
There are tons of things I am excited about this weekend, but if I told you all of them now, that would make Tuesday's post really redundant. All you College Football fans, have some fun, and all of you NFL Widows, enjoy your last Sunday with your husband til February. That's what I plan to do!
Linking up with Lauren and these ladies!