1) If you don't know me in real life, then you don't know that I turn red instantly when I am hot, embarrassed, have to speak intelligently and feel underprepared, and in almost any other uncomfortable situation. There is just no playing it cool. Normally I sit at my desk at lunch, but yesterday I decided to walk around Houston's Underground Tunnels. I was on a tile floor approaching a glass door that I would need to pull open. The man approaching me looked like a former student at my school who I knew well enough to say hello to. I was busy shifting the cookies I bought to my left hand so I could open the door as well as looking at the guy to see if I knew him, when BAM. My left foot shot forward onto my heel and my right knee slammed the ground, my right toes planted behind me so that my foot bent awkwardly (I was wearing ballet flats with no support). Despite my unathletic frame, I magically somehow popped right back up without using my hands and the guy (who was not who I thought he was) asked if I was okay. I told him yeah, I had no idea how that had happened... and then I looked down and saw a huge puddle of soda. Apparently I was in my own world and totally missed it. I was instantly red, and the guy behind me who saw the whole thing walked in the same direction as me for several more minutes. Real smooth. Oops.
I tried to not get my feet in there but I wanted you to see the icing situation my coworkers insisted on. Upside down recycle bin, grocery bags, and a lanyard binder-clipped around my knee. But, I am feeling okay now so I guess it worked! Moral of the story: get more pedicures. You never know when you may want someone to look at your foot to tell if it's swollen.
2) American Express customer service amazed me this week. I have a card that I only use for Christmas and work expenses, so I don't check its balance often at all. I had an email from them Wednesday morning about possible fraudulent activity - $75 to Jdate.com. They declined the charge. At 8am, they were calling me to ask about that charge and two others, none of which were mine. A new card was waiting for me when I got home from work on Thursday night. I love that they saw it first and put a real person on the phone when there was an issue. It's not a huge deal but I love to share good service stories!
3) I admit that I am easily influenced by other bloggers when it comes to what to buy. I don't shop often so I like to get things recommended to me. Yesterday Ari posted about Smashbooks - do you know about these? I used to like to scrapbook but it's expensive, messy, and takes so much time. I still hold on to brochures and tickets and stuff though and they just sit in my house. I think this will be a great way to document life without a lot of mess and I WILL go get one (or two... there is a food themed one I could use just for restaurants...) this weekend!
4) What's your work dress code like? Mine is normally business casual but during the summer and winter break for students, I get to wear jeans. And it is more amazing than it should be. I don' t have to iron as much and I feel more like me. Plus this week when it was cold, I got to wear boots. If you wear jeans to work, appreciate it on my behalf because I'm back to regular dress next week!
5) The Mindy Project is so ridiculously good and if you aren't watching it, start now. I thought it started slow but about halfway through last season, I got really into it. It's one of the few shows that I actually look forward to lately. I think this season is completely hilarious and if I could just steal Mindy Lahiri's wardrobe, I would never need to shop again.
Just realized there has been no Gwen this season, and I'm okay with that.
See More Good: A woman here in Houston left a $100 tip on a $44 tab. The waitress read it as $10 and went on about her life. When the woman saw her bank statement and that the full tip wasn't applied, she went back to restaurant with $100 cash. So nice!
We have a fun staycation weekend planned with friends. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to Tweet and Instagram about it, so use those fancy new social media buttons I just added to follow along if you don't already. I hope it's thawing out where you are!