1) Knocking another restaurant off of the Top 100 List: After the churro tequila at El Big Bad last weekend, I was interested in trying El Gran Malo, EBB's sister restaurant on the Top 100 that also features amazing tequila. While the food was a bit lackluster - two of my three tacos lacked flavor - the strawberry-hibiscus tequila didn't disappoint. The ginger flavor was a bit more subtle. My dining companion had the churro and then the pecan-cayenne, which was interesting.
Quesadillas with zucchini and poblanos | tacos | the cabinet where the tequilas were infusing
2) Speaking of my dining companion, it was the awesome Sara, formerly of Simply Sara Elizabeth. I would be sad that she quit blogging but since we talk a good four days a week, I can't say I miss her TOO much. She is doing good, Barley is getting big, and when I asked her what she wanted me to tell the blog world on her behalf, she said that everyone needed to stop being obsessed with numbers - from what size your friend wears to how much money she makes to blog and twitter followers, just stop. She might write a post for me about this, or I will expand on our talk about it because it was a good one.
3) Hypocrite, your name is Lauren (sometimes). I tweeted about how I hated when people tweeted their own blog posts a million times and then you guys were super sweet on twitter about my post yesterday so I had to retweet you because that's what you do and apparently I was annoying (according to my husband, but he's annoyed by everything so his opinion only counts when I agree with it). So sorry and I will do better next time but really, thank you so much for the love. I am really working on being me in my posts so the fact that you liked that one meant so much!
4) I did some googling and learned that you can download an app called Printicular and use it to print your Instagram pics at Walgreens (4x4) for 30 cents each (use a coupon code for more money off, obviously). I maybe went on a printing spree and refreshed my work bulletin boards and some frames at home.
5) I also used my Instagrams for the Smashbooks I mentioned last week. I went to Michael's and got the full kit for $12 (after coupon) that came with a book, some tape, and some inserts and a book with a "taste" theme to document our food adventures that was on clearance for $7. I'm having fun putting them together so far and the pages are already really cute so you don't have to do a lot of extra work, which I love.
Blacksmith gets a page (duh) | A page with my top ten of 2013 (found here) and a few pics to match | A spread dedicated to Underbelly, my favorite!
See More Good: This one comes from a blog post. I read Angi's post about a project she did for a friend and I've been thinking about it since. She got different envelopes and labeled them with things like "Read this before a date" "Read this before you see me" and "Read this on your birthday" and then wrote notes and put in little gifts for her friend who she doesn't see that often. I think that is the most thoughtful gift. Who doesn't want a friend who goes through all of that effort?
I'm looking forward to a great, long weekend. If you don't see me until Tuesday, you know I'm enjoying myself!