If you've been around here for any length of time, you probably already know that I don't really care for Pinterest. I just don't see its appeal. I mean, I get that it can be useful for finding outfits or decor, but I don't understand how people spend hours on it. And, more than that, I think it has kind of made people crazy.
- Every photo shoot now requires a trunk full of props. You aren't Carrot Top (bonus points for anyone who watched way too many TV talk shows as a kid and gets that). You are never actually going to eat cake off of a ruffly plate at a picturesque picnic in the park with twinkle lights overhead so STOP THE CRAZY ALREADY. It's unnatural. What's wrong with photos in your natural state? Or like, one prop that matches the setting? And where are you hanging all these pictures?
- The chalkboardization of America. I get it. I mean I like making things into chalkboards, too, but everything? Why does a globe need to be covered in chalkboard paint? And why are there so many things now that look like chalkboards that aren't actually chalkboards? Pinterest, I blame you.
- If you only look at Pinterest, the only way you can have cute outfits is if you're a thin, attractive white woman. Take a look at the Popular page on Pinterest, or even your own outfit boards. Where are women with imperfections, dark skin, or imperfect hair? NOWHERE. I feel that women who don't fit the mold are rarely shared or repinned. I'm not going to pin those outfits because I am never going to look like that!
- If everyone did all the things they pinned, the lines at Michael's and Hobby Lobby would be like Walmart on Black Friday every damn day. Just saying.
- Baby and Bridal Showers have gotten crazy. My friend Sarah is pregnant (yay!) and I offered to host a shower for her with some other friends... and immediately got a little terrified. Do I have to have chalkboard signs saying what everything is, bunting, tissue paper poms, matching paper straws, a theme, and perfect yet not overdone party games? WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? Luckily Sarah is the sweetest girl ever and would say none of this is necessary, but it's sad that that has become the new expectation for many. And don't get me started on gender reveals. Is it so wrong to find out in the privacy of an ultrasound room with just your husband present?
I know I'm in the minority, but we all have our things that other people like that we just don't get. Pinterest happens to be mine. I'll just be bookmarking things the old-fashioned way if you need me.
Linking up with Kathy so I can get this off my chest!