1) Last weekend, a pastry chef who grew up in my suburb, was on Top Chef: Just Desserts, and who now works in Chicago (I liked her enough to make sure I ate at her restaurant when I visited) came to Houston and did a breakfast pop-up with a Houston chef who was also on the show. I mentioned this to my awesome, food-loving coworker friend and then told her I wouldn't be able to go because the pets had vet appointments and Andrew had to go to work. She texted me a little after 8:00 that morning saying she was on her way with one of everything from the pop-up. Amazing treats (house made plum pistachio pop-tarts, everything kolaches, and funfetti cinnamon rolls to name a few) and good company showing up unexpectedly made my week.
Funfetti Cinnamon Roll (very sweet, not a ton of cinnamon) | Clockwise: Everything kolache (bread with cream cheese in the center and then garlic, bacon, and green onion sprinkled on top), plum pistachio "pop-tart," basque cake (kind of spongey with a light, buttery middle), kouign-amann (like a smaller, slightly sweeter and crispier croissant), and chestnut coffee cake (kind of disappointing but maybe I just don't like chestnuts?)
2) I got it in my head that I wanted an antique stained glass windowpane to hang somewhere in our new house. I found one that was perfect and half the price of every other one I found at an antique mall. Twenty minutes after spotting it, I went back to get it, and the dealer had closed his booth for the day. I was so bummed - it was mine. I went back to the antique mall six days later, spotted it laying behind something else, and learned that someone else had put it on hold the day before... but hadn't paid a deposit so it was up for grabs. I held onto it until I handed over my credit card and made it official. I'm the queen of wishing I had bought things when I saw them so the fact that this thing is now mine is a small miracle.
3) I got to have drinks with my friend Heidi the other night! You might remember her because she used to blog but since moving back to Texas, hasn't found the time. I can tell you she's doing great. We went to Heights General Store because they had a $5 happy hour menu. The prices were right and drinks were good, but the food left something to be desired. Maybe if we had spent more than $5 per plate, it would have been better, but we were too busy catching up to care too much about dinner.
4) If you have Kohl's near you and you don't shop there, I think you should start. I'm not a great shopper but I love a deal. A few weeks ago, Andrew and I stopped in because I had one of those great "free money" coupons and found a small patio set for 90% off. After coupons, it was $25! The more I shop, the more coupons they send and they are often $5 or $10 with no minimum purchase. I have no shame running in there just for a bottle of nail polish or something...
5) And for a little moving update - we are currently scheduled to close on selling the current house on September 23rd and buying the new house on the 24th. Our realtor negotiated a seven day lease-back into our contract so we would have a week to move. Movers, cable installation, and utilities have all been set up accordingly... until I got an email yesterday that the buyers of our current house want to try to close as early as Thursday. I'm not prepared! We have plans this weekend that were made pre-move and I'm slightly panicking, but also excited because I'm ready for our new house. I'll keep you updated, whether you like it or not!