So - life lately. June was a busy month and I can't believe July is nearly half over. Since I last posted, here are some highlights:
- We had a shelf in our kitchen/breakfast nook that had all of my favorite things I've collected over the past few years. Little antique knick-knacks that I fell in love with and had to have. Not necessarily expensive, but all received as gifts or purchased because I loved them. Well, the shelf fell (I think the lawn people slammed the gate on the other side of the wall too hard) and nearly everything shattered. I know it's just stuff and there are far worse things in the world, but I'm still not over it.
- The 4th of July happened. My work friend turned local friend invited us to hang out with her friends at one person's house on the lake. Fireworks on the water didn't suck and the company was great. I baked a yellow cake with chocolate frosting from scratch. Sadly, it was a little dry and dense, but gold star for effort and not using a boxed mix.
- I'm newly obsessed with Yelp and I want to be elite. Are we friends yet? I'm trying to only leave reviews for places I've been to more than once, but if they were awful, I'm leaving reviews, too. No one really takes Yelp too seriously, but I hear their events are great and I wouldn't hate going to some.
- Our Napa trip will be here before I know it. What comfy shoes do you wear for travel? Are there comfy shoes for guys that aren't sneakers? Any lightweight jacket recommendations? It will be in the 60s in the evenings and the wine caves might be cold so I wanted something easy to bring along with me that wouldn't be too obtrusive if I need to wear it to dinner.
- Since I asked you for shopping recs, I have a few of my own. I recently picked up this bag at the Bass Outlet and have gotten tons of compliments. I have it on the pink side now and it's great for work - I can throw in all my purse stuff, lunch, a cardigan, an umbrella, and anything else I need for the day and still look put together. Way better than the cloth shopping bags I used to tote around and it was only $27 in store after coupons. I also bought L'Oreal heat spray recently (around $4 at Walmart) and it's going to be my new go-to. It smells great, makes my hair so soft I couldn't stop touching it, and my second-day hair is much straighter and less frizzy than it was when I used other brands.
- Food-wise, we haven't done much that warrants a long post. We went to Killen's with a bunch of Andrew's BBQ friends and I met another BBQ wife! She totally got my "pain" of having to wake up early, wait in line, being tired of meat, taking pictures before eating, helping to choose an instagram filter, and all of the other stuff I thought I was the only wife silly enough to suffer through. Now I'm excited for Andrew's next BBQ trip to Austin because I'll have a friend there! We tried the newly opened Bramble on Saturday and it was so casual but well put together that I just wanted to sit there all night. I went to Mala Sichuan, which is authentic Chinese food, and I didn't care for it at all. I don't like Americanized Chinese food, and now I know I don't like the real thing much, either. I'm sure there are more, and I check in everywhere I go on Swarm, but if I put them all in one paragraph, you'll probably judge me.
- I'm trying to commit to using the treadmill desk during lunch at work and I finally got a card so I can use the (free!) neighborhood gym so I can keep eating the way I mentioned above. I know how important balance is, so the easier it is to move, the more likely I am to do it.
Lakeside July 4th View | My cake, with DIY patriotic pinwheels so it would be more festive | Bauer trying to take attention from my book | Bramble - love the concrete floors, raw wood, Edison bulbs and turquoise and red color scheme not visible here.
Other than that, I've been reading a ton. All will be reviewed in tomorrow's post. I also have some half-written posts of things that happened a while ago but I never talked about that I'm thinking of packaging as Throwback Thursdays. That's still a thing, right?