Monday, May 9, 2016

day in the life: a typical monday

I've read some really detailed Day in the Life posts and I love them. It's strangely interesting to get some of the minutiae that makes up a person's day. I decided to plan for and take notes on my own. Here's a typical day in my life - this one happened to be Monday, May 2, 2016.

5:00 a.m.: My alarm goes off with a siren emoji and a note to go to the gym. Bauer actually started crying for his breakfast a few minutes before the alarm went off, so I was able to get out of bed a little more easily than usual. Get up, brush teeth, contacts in, and get dressed to get to the gym by 5:20. I only got through 28 minutes including cool down before I was ready to go home (I blame my boring book). When I got home, Andrew was already gone for the day, but he had a travel mug of coffee waiting for me.
6:00 a.m: Weighed myself and I had maintained the 5 lbs lost despite all of my terrible habits lately! Good way to start a Monday. Took a shower, applied self-tanner and prayed I wouldn't turn my legs orange, and realized the pants I planned to wear that day were still wet from being washed the night before. I had to find some others and iron them. Thanks, Monday.
7:00 a.m.: Dressed and ready to head out, but the pets needed feeding. Bauer tried a beef flavor of cat food that I had to text to his BBQ loving Dad. Pulled out of the driveway at 7:14 a.m. to a misty morning and listened to Beautiful/Anonymous episode 7 and read blog comments while stopped at red lights.

8:00 a.m: Mist and rain slowed my drive to work; I didn't get in until 8:18, oops. I was starving so it was time for breakfast - a toasted English muffin with strawberry jam. I sat down to check email and responded to one from the Dean of my school about hosting a law school competition next spring (I didn't think it was a great fit for us, but needed more info) and reviewed an order for electricity for our upcoming commencement (we're using a convention center and you have to pay for every little thing!).
9:00 a.m.: Emailed Sarah since she had left me a few blog comments and I hadn't talked to her in a while. Checked in with my boss on matters both personal and professional - she was dealing with a lot on this day, so there was more of that than usual. I had an outside group coming in to use our building the next day so I emailed them their AV needs and walked some paperwork to other offices - yay for getting up.
10:00 a.m.: Read blog comment emails and then back to more graduation work - this time, reviewing an AV quote and setting up a meeting to discuss details and securing hotel rooms for the commencement speaker and his aide.
11:00 a.m.: Take the website redesign survey I've been putting off for my school's upcoming overhaul. Emailed a dropbox link to students with photos from a previous event. One of my work BFFs stopped in to chat about our weekends, I had strawberries for a snack, texted Andrew, answered a gchat, and more talk with my boss and another coworker about the previous weekend and other assorted matters.
12:00 p.m.: Proofed and sent edits for an invitation postcard for an event in the fall. Confirmed details of aforementioned graduation AV meeting. Responded to a student who wanted me to save seats for her relatives in wheelchairs at graduation (sorry, I can't...).

My desk is always this messy.

1:00 p.m.: Some semi-work related Facebook creeping, and then finally get up to get my second cup of water and head out to lunch (a prepackaged spinach salad with feta, pecans, and sun-dried cranberries). I wanted to go enjoy the nice weather Houston was having but the tables from the development on the next block were missing and the ones on my school's new patio were wet from the morning's mist, so it was back to my desk after a ten minute walk. The spinach in my salad was watery but at least I could catch up on blogs and read Twitter for the first time all day.
2:00 p.m.: Some crackers and a smoked gouda (fake) cheese wedge to supplement the sad salad and an email to Bre about her new puppy ended my lunch break. Back to work, and the group using the building the next day had issues with the AV charges (as in, they didn't want to pay them) so I spent a lot of time calling other departments and digging through emails to find where the miscommunication happened.
3:00 p.m.: Figured out the miscommunication and got the approval to waive AV for the group coming the next day and communicated the plan to all of the right people. Sent multiple emails to first aid companies to get quotes for graduation only to find out our security director had already done it. Freak out because I had promised the Dean to draft an email by the end of the day and I had less than an hour to do it if I wanted to leave on time. Get it done fast and then read email from Bre and respond. We email pretty often during the week and they're always a highlight of my work day.
4:00 p.m.: Check my alternate work email account and have a few nice emails from students - always a plus! Take something to the 8th floor and take the stairs down to my office on two. Leave a few minutes late (4:37) and finish Beautiful/Anonymous on the drive home and start an episode of Embedded.
5:00 p.m.: Get home at 5:28. Andrew calls as I pull into the driveway and we discuss our dinner options while I change clothes to take Duncan for a 30 minute walk. The weather is awesome and breezy and I finish Embedded and re-listen to an episode of Breakdown that I only halfway paid attention to to make sure I could recommend it in my podcasts post later in the week.

Bauer needs attention the second I walk in the door.

6:00 p.m.: I walked down our street with Duncan as Andrew was driving down it coming home. I check the mail, and then we get dinner started - spaghetti and meatballs. Easy meals are our focus during the week. Andrew's friend had big BBQ news so they chatted on the phone (so quaint!) and I tried on some tank tops a coworker passed on to me and changed clothes... again. I think since I knew I was writing this post, I was motivated to do a lot, so I cleaned the toilet, started a load of laundry, wiped down the bathroom counter, and loaded the dishwasher. By 6:55, we sat down to eat. We normally eat in the breakfast nook and have a no phones at the table rule, but we can see the TV and it's usually on. This night was the James Beard Awards (the Oscars of food), so it was streaming on the laptop while we ate.
7:00 p.m.: Wind down time - after dinner, I snuggled Bauer, scrolled instagram, listened to the awards, and read a few pages of my book. I went outside and threw the ball with Duncan and cleaned up the newspaper he ripped apart (that I accidentally left in the backyard... oops).
8:00 p.m.: Justin Yu, the chef from one of my favorite restaurants, won a Beard award! That was fun to watch. Had fun reading the twitter craziness, texted Amanda some unsolicited wedding advice, and proofread Andrew's blog post (if you're in Houston, check out his 50 favorite restaurants!).

Bauer didn't like that I interrupted him from destroying the blanket for a pic.

9:00 p.m.: Fun fact: I like to sing random songs while I do the dishes. This night, it was "Take it on the Run" by REO Speedwagon. No idea where that came from. Followed Andrew around the house being obnoxious and singing "The Most Stripiest Boy in the World" to the tune of "Most Beautiful Girl in the World" to Bauer. Then I changed the litter box, had a bite of cocoa almond spread since my sweet tooth needed something, took a shower, and fed Bauer.
10:00 p.m.: Normal bedtime routine and then watched some Conan. I read a few more pages of my book and then fell asleep somewhere around 10:40.

Just a regular old day in the life. I walked somewhere around 11,000 steps, sent 33 emails, ate two meals and multiple snacks, had one cup of coffee, spent about two hours in the car, and spent a ton of time taking notes on my phone about what I did. It was a pretty good day.


  1. This was interesting, I feel like a lot of my time is spent sitting at my desk in my bedroom not interacting with people so I'm not sure a weekday in my life post would be interesting. I miss interacting with people.

  2. I love these posts. Seriously, why is it so interesting to me that someone does laundry and walks their dog at 7:14 pm, you know?

  3. I love these posts. I always feel like my days are so boring but I love reading about them.

  4. I love these posts and have been wanting to write one for a while! I have a feeling that I'd be just like you and very motivated to do a lot on the day that I was doing a day in the life post!

  5. God, I love REO Speedwagon. I will never quit them.

    I also really enjoy day in the life posts. I am a lover of minutiae.

  6. I love reading these posts, it's always interesting to hear what other people do all day!

  7. I always love reading day in the life posts. I have been working on one for about a year now. I get through about the first three pictures then forget to take any the rest of the day or write down what I did. oops!

  8. I love day in the life posts!

    How in the world do you get up at 5AM to work out?! ;)


I like comments and read them all but I'm not great about responding to them, so please don't be offended. I would much rather visit your blog instead!